1. It isn't quite _____ that he will be present at the meeting.
A. sure B. right
C. exact D. certain
2. Many new _____ will be opened up in the future for those with a university education.
3. The members of the club wouldn't run a _____ in entrusting(委托) the organization to an unreliable person.
A. danger B. risk
C. hazard D. chance
4. The meeting was _____ when the chairman fell ill.
A. put down B. shut out
C. cut short D. taken off
5. John says that his present job does not provide him with enough _____ for his organizing ability.
A. scope B. space
C. capacity D. range
6. I just managed to _____ a quick breath before I was sucked under the water by the passing boat.
A. snatch B. scratch
C. scrape D. scan
7. My brother likes eating very much but he isn't very _____ about the food he eats.
A. special B. peculiar
C. particular D. unusual
8. I don't think the charge for overhauling (大修)the equipment is excessive in _____ to its size.
9. Voices were _____ as the argument between the two motorists became more bad-tempered.
A. swollen B. raised
C. developed D. increased
10. Having lived in the town for quite a few years, Mr. Johnson no longer felt _____ among the local people.
A. out of order B. out of place
C. out of control D. out of the question
11. He stopped his ears with his hands to _____ the terrible noise.
A. show off B. cut out
C. keep from D. shut out
12. My house is the only brick one on the street. It _____ and you can't miss it.
A. stands up B. looks out
C. sticks out D. wipes out
13. After the show, the crowd _____ out of the theater.
A. poured B. melted
C. drew D. dismissed
14. Although it is not our normal _____ to give credit, this time I think we should consider the matter more closely.
A. state B. intention
C. occasion D. practice
15. It gave me a strange feeling of excitement to see my name in _____.
A. news B. print
C. publication D. press
16. The engineers have rejected the employers' proposals to end the strike and the other workers have come out in _____.
A. opposition B. return
C. sympathy D. readiness
17. Her work is often very hard and she gets very tired. The work is _____.
A. wonderful B. splendid
C. tedious D. magnificent
18. With prices _____ so much, it's hard for the company to plan a budget.
A. fluctuating B. waving
C. swinging D. vibrating
19. Some teenagers have a generalized resentment against society, which _____ them the rights and privileges of adults, although physically they are mature.
A. deprives B. restricts
C. rejects D. denies
20. Though _____ in San Francisco, Dave Mitchell had always preferred to record the plain facts of small-town life.
A. raised B. grown
C. developed D. cultivated
21. I'm afraid this painting is not by Picasso. It's only a copy and so it's _____.
A. priceless B. invaluable
C. unworthy D. worthless
22. The final _____ of the play will take place on Monday.
A. action B. performance
C. view D. sight
23. It was a long time before the cut on my hand _____ completely.
A. healed B. cured
C. improved D. recovered
24. To get my travelers' checks I had to have the bank _____ a special check for the total amount.
A. make up B. make out
C. make for D. make up for
25. She said she was glad the difficulty had been _____.
A. cleared away B. cleared up
C. broken away D. broken down
26. I used to be able to play well but I'm _____ now.
A. out of date
B. out of touch
C. out of practice
D. out of place
27. As soon as the children were _____, their mother got them out of bed and into the bathroom.
A. woke B. waken
C. wake D. awake
28. Jim was so badly burnt that at first they began to _____ of his life.
A. despair B. designate
C. disappoint D. despise
29. The government's strong action demonstrated its _____ to crush the rebellion.
A. energy B. resistance
C. courage D. determination
30. New mineral resources may be discovered during the forthcoming Antarctic _____.
A. excursion B. execution
C. extraction D. expedition